Here are the answers:
1. Who demonstrated the strength in working together using arrows?- Hoelun, the mother of Chinggis Khan
2. What form does the tea used for milk tea traditionally come in?- Bricks or blocks
3. What side of a Mongol horse does one always mount from?- Left
4. Mongolia became independent in the early 20th century from what other country?- China
5. What two animals do the Mongols claim descent from?- Wolf and deer
6. What was the real name of the “mad monk of the Gobi”- who wrote the famous poem “Perfect Qualities”?- Danzanravjaa
7. What is the traditional greeting when approaching a herder’s ger?- Hold the dogs!
8. From what people did the Mongols get their classical vertical script?- Uighers
9. Why did the Mongol army leave Europe and return to Mongolia?- To elect a new Khan
10. Who created and bestowed the title “Dalai Lama”? For bonus points, what does the world “Dalai” mean?- Altan Khan; “ocean”
1. What is a “morin khuur”?- Horse-head fiddle
2. From what people did the Mongols get their classical vertical script?- Uighers (my apologies for missing that I’d used this one in the first 10)
3. What are each of the four sides of a sheep’s anklebone called?- Sheep, goat, horse, camel
4. Name the Five Snouts.- Horse, cattle, sheep, goat, camel
5. Which ikh khan founded Kharkhorin?- Ogedei
6. Which direction do gers always face?- South
7. Who is the lead singer of Hurd? For bonus points, what does his name mean?- Chono: wolf
8. What is the name of the mountain where Temujin took refuge?- Burkhan Khaldun
9. What are The Three Manly Sports?- horse racing, wrestling, archery
10. Name the two main political parties in Mongolia.- Democratic party and Mongolian People’s Party (I was a little flexible on this one since there have been fairly recent name changes. The MPRP changed its name last year. The other party is referred to in the media as the Democrats. But I knew what you meant)
And the winner is…..Carole Hollrigel! But it was close. Only two points separated her from the next closest entrant.
Thank you to those who entered!